Are you looking for the best garage flooring options? We tried multiple setups from famous brands to find the best flooring options for our garage, and here are the top ten setups we can recommend.
Table of Contents
Best Garage Flooring (Top 10 Options):
Armor All AAGFMC20 Charcoal 20' x 7'4" Garage Floor Mat
Protects floor from spillovers
Rust-Oleum 293513 Rocksolid Polycuramine Garage Floor Coating
Covers 500 sq. ft.
Suitable for interior use
Notrax 109 Brush Step Entrance Mat
Poly fibers absorb moisture
New Forest Floor 3/8 Inch Thick Printed Foam Tiles
24" x 24” x 3/8 inch
Interlocks tiles with two detachable border pieces
Siloxa-Tek 8500 Ready to Use - 1 Gallon Penetrating Concrete Sealer
Protects concrete against chlorides and deicing salts
Self Adhesive Carpet Tile
12 x 12 x 12 inches
Made for flat and dry surface
GelPro Anti-Fatigue Nonslip 1/2" Thick Hard Floor Utility Mat
72 x 20 x 0.5 inches
High traction surface for stability
Rust-Oleum 279847 EPOXYShield
Gives Aluminium finish
Drymate Maintenance Mat/Oil Spill Mat
72 x 58 x 0.13 inches
Dc-fix self-Adhesive Film Rustic Wood
17.7'' x 78.7"
Suitable for shelves, furniture, garage, etc
1. Armor All AAGFMC20 Charcoal 20′ x 7’4″ Garage Floor Mat
Armor All deals in all sorts of garage items, from car cleaning kits to other garage essentials. Let’s look at some of the features of this floor mat:
- Carpet like feel and look
- Protects floor from spillovers
- Absorbent fabric; patented dry mate material
- Water-proof backing; no soaking
- Dry mate double-sided tape included for installation
- This garage flooring can cut the mat
- Universal fit
The garage floors usually start to have yellow tracks from the car tires as it drives in on the garage.
So, I laid down this floor mat in my garage, which was not too thick to make it difficult to lay down and not too thin to leave tire marks on the floor.
The rubber backing is excellent as it makes the mat stay in its place unless you move the steering wheel too much.
At the same time, it protected my floor from any scratches, and the floor kept its finish.
Also, as advertised, the mat was easy to clean; we just had to power-wash it after months of using it, and it looked as good as new. It did not fade much either, which was a plus.
Since the mat comes folded, you won’t use it right out of the box. You will have to lay it down at a 95-degree angle in the sun to make it flat first.
- Looks and feels like a carpet
- Protects against spillovers and scratches
- It is water-proof, and the mat doesn’t soak
- A universal fit that can also be cut
- Double-sided tape is used while installing
- Withstands the pressure and weight of cars
- Easy to clean that doesn’t fade color
- Contains rubber backing which keeps the mat in place
- Needs to be kept in the 95-degree sun for it to get flat first
2. Rust-Oleum 293513 Rocksolid Polycuramine Garage Floor Coating
- Volume is 152 fluid oz
- Gray in color
- Suitable for interior use
- Polycuramine coating for concrete surfaces
- Self-leveling, buildable formula
- Eco-friendly bust pouch
- Covers up to 500 square feet
Before applying this garage floor coating, make sure your concrete floor is well prepared!
If your flooring has cracks or any paint spillovers, or just plain dirt, make sure you clean it up first before going ahead with this coating. You can pressure wash it or get an acid wash done too.
Now comes the application; I applied it in winter, which took 50 minutes before it dried out and locked up.
Read the instructions carefully to find out the suitable temperature conditions for application.
The coating was super shiny, there were no light spots, and the texture was smooth. It had no color variation on my garage floor either.
One advice is to get a helping hand with you for application; it will make your life so much easier!
The area coverage of this garage flooring mentioned on the product box is misleading; some of the coatings get absorbed in the concrete, so keep that in mind while buying it.
- Suitable for interior use
- Is odor-free and eco-friendly
- Is suitable for interior use
- Shiny coating with a smooth texture and good color
- Can cover up to 500 square feet easily
- Self-leveling and has buildable formulae
- For concrete surfaces, it has a polycuramine coating
- The coating gets absorbed in the concrete
3. Notrax 109 Brush Step Entrance Mat
Notrax specializes in mats of all types, be it for the kitchen or garage floors. Let’s look at some of the characteristics of this mat:
- Suitable for all weathers; protects against snow, water, and debris
- Poly fibers absorb moisture, and impermeable vinyl prevents moisture from coming in contact with the floor
- Brush step design to avoid falls
- Carpet-like feel
- Suitable for medium traffic
- Pet-friendly; can be vacuumed easily
- Length is 10 feet
- Charcoal color
I noticed that this mat did not slide as much as others did. For garages, that is a big plus since cars come in and go all the time, which could potentially move the location of the mat.
Garages are outdoor spaces which means constant exposure to the weather. In that case, the mat protected the flooring from puddles of rainwater and sandstorms.
The mat was heavy-duty; I laid it out in my garage and was impressed with the thickness.
No doubt nothing seeps through from this mat; otherwise, moisture would have damaged the garage flooring.
One minor issue is that the rug slides a bit on tiles. However, it is improbable that you’ll have tiles on the floor in your garage.
- Is suitable for all kinds of weather and protects against snow water and debris
- Poly fibers which can easily absorb moisture
- Impermeable vinyl that prevents moisture from getting in contact with the floor
- Brush step design to avoid falls
- Has a carpet-like feel
- It is pet-friendly and can easily be vacuumed
- Does not easily slide when a vehicle comes in contact with the Mat
- The mat is quite thick and is heavy-duty
- Charcoal color
- Length is only 10 feet
- Is not suitable for tiles
- Check Current Price and Rating on Amazon
4. New Forest Floor 3/8 Inch Thick Printed Foam Tiles
- Carbon color
- Dimensions are 24 x 24 x 0.38 inches
- Weighs 6 pounds
- Wood Grain foam floor tiles
- Forest floor printed
- Cushioned and anti-fatigue; good for joints if you use it to work on
- Interlocking tiles with two detachable border pieces
The assembly was a breeze for me; it only took a couple of hours and 2 Exacto knife blades to put it together and layout in my garage.
I arranged them in a parquet style, so I didn’t have to worry about grain lining up.
The mat has a great aesthetic; it does not look too formal for garage flooring and is funky and casual since garages are usually not where you host people.
One problem with the mat is that some pieces might be thicker than others, so it will take time to adjust and settle.
- Assembling it is quite easy
- Has a great aesthetic to it and goes nicely with garages
- It is cushioned and anti-fatigue; quite useful if work is carried out
- Has interlocking tiles which can be detached with 2 border pieces
- Forrest floor printed
- Weighs only 6 pounds
- It is a wood-grain foam floor tiles
- Carbon color
- Some pieces are thicker than other pieces and requires some time to settle in
- Fixed dimensions of the tiles
5. Siloxa-Tek 8500 Ready to Use – 1 Gallon Penetrating Concrete Sealer
Concrete sealers will protect your flooring against surface abrasion. Following are some of the attributes of the product:
- Clear color
- Silane/siloxane material
- Protects concrete against chlorides and deicing salts
- Prevents water intrusion
- Application through a sprayer
We use garage flooring a lot, and that too roughly; thus, it is important to use concrete sealers because one cannot afford to damage the concrete all the time.
My floor color looked no different post-application, and the feel is the same, too, if not better. The difference became visible when it rained, and none of the water seeped in.
One piece of advice is to start with a roller but quickly shift to the handheld sprayer once you get comfortable. Still, keep a roller handy for any puddles.
The instruction about the area covered with this garage flooring is a bit confusing since it is mentioned not in single coating but double coating. You can quickly do the math, though.
- Is good at protecting concrete against chlorides and deicing salts
- Prevents water from intruding onto the floor
- Has a nice floor color that goes with garages
- Is of silane/siloxane material
- Application is used through a sprayer
- The instructions about the area being covered are quite misleading
- Installing and assembling it is difficult for beginners
6. Self Adhesive Carpet Tile
- Grey in color
- Peel and stick application
- Tiles are ribbed in texture
- The dimensions of each tile are 12 x 12 x 12 inches
- Available in 8 colors
- Made for flat and dry surface
The carpet tiles were so easy to put on; I just had to peel them and stick them to my garage floor, and I completed my work! Since it was sticky, it didn’t move either as we walked over it. The adhesive was strong.
The tiles are durable; I have had them for more than a year, and the flooring looks new, without fading marks or any damages. We use our garage a lot, so it is excellent for us.
Moreover, they’re relatively cost-effective. It is a small price you’re paying to save your garage floor from the damage, which would cost you a whole lot of money.
One issue with it is that rarely, the adhesive comes a bit dry, so you can face difficulty sticking it. In that case, contact the manufacturer.
- Quite easy to install on the floor; has a peel-and-stick mechanism
- Has a variety of colors
- It is suitable for flat and dry surfaces
- The tiles have a longer life and are durable in nature
- Cost-effective for users who are willing to purchase
- Tiles are ribbed in texture
- Sometimes the adhesive comes a bit dry, and it is difficult for a beginner to stick it to the floor
7. GelPro Anti-Fatigue Nonslip 1/2″ Thick Hard Floor Utility Mat
GelPro makes all kinds of mats, be it the exotic ones for the bedroom or the utility mats for the garage. Let’s find out what this product entails:
- Leather grain black in color
- Material foam
- Dimensions are 72 x 20 x 0.5 inches
- Made of polyurethane Ergo-Foam
- Reduces fatigue
- High traction surface for stability
This garage flooring is convenient to clean, which is a big plus when you despise cleaning as I do. It would help if you had a damp mop to clean it when you think it has gotten dirty or worked on it.
Sometimes, you work for long hours at a stretch in a garage if you are building something. In that case, this mat helped me be on my feet without getting my feet sore. The cushioning is excellent!
The fact that the mat is lighter in weight means that you can change its position easily. Sometimes you would want it near a table in the garage and sometimes under the car; moving it would not be a problem.
One issue was that the thickness might not be enough for some; it is good enough if you are standing but not if you sit and work on it.
- It is a leather grain which is black and goes nicely with the garage
- The mat is made up of a foamy material, a polyurethane Ergo-Foam
- It is a high traction surface for good stability
- A hand-made mat
- It is water resistant and makes sure no kind of moisture sticks to it
- It is easy to clean; use a damp mop to clean it
- It reduces any sort of fatigue and is suitable for users who are keen on working in garages
- The mat is lighter in weight and can easily be placed in any position
- The thickness of the mat is not ideal
8. Rust-Oleum 279847 EPOXYShield
- Volume is 100mm
- Aluminum finish
I found the quantity great for its coverage; the whole kit did not get finished to cover our garage with space for two cars. On top of that, it was easy to put down.
It reduces slipperiness significantly; garages usually have dangerous machinery lying around, and slipping there could do significant harm. Thus, the garage flooring should be slip-resistant.
Make sure you frequently stir during the application to avoid any puddles and that the epoxy spreads evenly with the flooring. It also added texture to the floor.
One slight issue is that it is harder to clean than other materials and products, but it is worth it.
- Reduces slipperiness (slip-resistant)
- It has an aluminum finish which gives it a nice and furnished look
- Easy to install on the floor
- Quantity was ideal for the coverage
- It is an oil-based mat with a volume of 100 mm
- While installation, water has to be avoided
- Epoxy should also be used while the installation
- Is very hard to clean as compared to other products
9. Drymate Maintenance Mat/Oil Spill Mat
- Traps spillovers
- Water-proof layer works against motor oil, brake fluids, and gasoline
- Made of polyester fiber
- 80% recycled fibers
- Dimensions are 72 x 58 x 0.13 inches
My SUV’s power steering pump had a small leak, and I was impressed to note that none of it reached our garage floor; the mat absorbed it! If it had, it would have been dangerous.
My mat stayed flat on the floor, and there were no rolled-up edges which, to be honest, I had expected. I parked my car and did other garage chores, but the mat maintained its utility.
I used the mat indoors as well, and it worked as well. I placed it on my kitchen floor, and my pet dog played on it, I exercised on it, and there were some food spillovers too, but the material didn’t deteriorate.
However, keep in mind that the mat is not suitable for direct sunlight exposure. If the temperature is high, keep it in an enclosed area.
- It can easily trap spillovers
- It is water-proof which can easily prevent motor oil, brake fluids, and gasoline from getting the mat ruined
- Is made up of polyester fiber
- It absorbs any sort of leaks from your car
- The mat stays flat on the floor with no rolled-up edges
- Suitable for indoor as well
- It is not suitable for direct sunlight or heat exposure
10. Dc-fix self-Adhesive Film Rustic Wood
- Material is wood
- Brown color
- Suitable for shelves, furniture, garage, etc.
- cut according to the appropriate size and apply with the applicator
- made from vinyl/PVC film
- Conveniently removable
- have grid lines for precise measurements
I laid down this rustic adhesive wood in one part of my garage three years ago, and it is still intact and in the same condition!
The adhesive has not come off at all, and it has stuck with my wooden floor well.
If you are on a budget, this wooden garage flooring is for you; under twenty dollars, you are getting your hands on a durable wood film that would last you years.
Also, it gives the feel and looks of wood that my husband mistook for actual wood! If you look closely, you figure that it is not indeed wood but still good enough.
The application will take some time, and you have to be careful and plan the whole thing because the adhesive is too strong to stick once and then remove.
- It is water-resistant
- Is suitable for shelves, garages, and furniture
- Can easily be removed
- Has grid lines for accurate measurements
- Made from vinyl/PVC film
- It is made up of wood with brown color
- Has a longer life
- Can easily stick to the floor
- A budget-friendly item
- It gives an aesthetic look of natural wood
- The application requires time and patience
- The installation process is not ideal for beginners and is a tad bit complicated
Factors to consider:
Cost: Garage floorings range in price depending on what type and quality you choose.
If you are going for a budget-friendly floor, you can opt for mats. Else, you can go for the entire concrete flooring.
Sound: Some floors have a loud underfoot like nitro tiles, while others, like coin flex tiles, are relatively quieter.
Installation: If you have to manage the application of the product single-handedly, peel and stick tiles would be more suitable. Else, concrete sealers would be more lasting.
Cleaning: It is important to note how often you have to clean each wooden garage flooring and how to be cleaned. Mats can easily be cleaned with a damp mop, while epoxy would have to be adequately cleaned like any other floor.
How We Tested Garage Flooring?
Flooring options are an essential part of a well-furnished home. Whether it be a dining room, bedroom, or kitchen top, flooring it with aesthetic designs is a must.
Similarly, a garage should also receive the same kind of attention when it comes to flooring rooms. Since the garage is a place where rough work is carried out, it needs extra care and more flooring.
However, the garage does not use the same type of fancy flooring as a bedroom or a living room, rather, it uses unique flooring which does not break easily and can withstand force.
I would recommend flooring the garage since, personally, it has been a key move that has made my life easier and given a new aesthetic outlook to my home, however, you should consider certain factors before flooring your garage.
Cost is the most important factor when it comes to flooring your garage. If you ask me, I would recommend calculating the total cost of the whole process, from the phase of buying the type of floors to the installation phase since it would give you a clear financial idea.
The cost of the flooring varies with the type of material that is used. If you want a budget-friendly floor, I would highly advise that you buy Mats that are less expensive and is worth every penny.
However, if you want a more advanced type of flooring that would increase the worth of your house, I would recommend getting full concrete flooring which would give your garage a furnished outlook.
However, the cost is not only limited to the type of material that is used, but it also lies in the categories of installation, labor, and size of the garage.
If you ask me, I would recommend measuring your garage before hiring laborers. Measuring the garage will not only help you in buying the type of flooring, but would also give you a rough estimate of the installation fee.
Material and Durability
Material and its durability are one of the most important key factors when it comes to flooring garages. I would recommend buying flooring options that can withstand high pressure, impacts, and stains.
The durability of the material you choose is highly important because I wouldn’t go around changing my flooring options now and then. I would want a permanent solution for my garage, and a durable material is an answer to that problem.
Polyurea is a durable and resistant product that helps protect your floor against stains and chemicals. I liked it.
Epoxy flooring material is also one of the choices that I would recommend since it is a good material. If you are a health conscious such as myself, I would recommend buying a water-based epoxy that is not only safer than a solvent-based and solid-based epoxy but is even less expensive than the two.
Color and Texture
Using dull-colored flooring for a garage is simply a myth. I would recommend getting yourself colored tiles for the garage that would give a nicer and more aesthetic look to your home. There are numerous different looks; from metallic to chip and stone, and many other different primary colors as well.
However, I would highly advise that you make sure the garage flooring matches and complements the entire background of the garage. A matching aesthetic garage gives a different vibe to the whole house.
If you ask me, I would recommend getting a flooring option that has minimal sound. If you have small kids such as myself, I wouldn’t recommend buying a flooring option that makes a sound when walked upon it because it would create disturbances in the whole house.
However, if you want tiles that make loud underfoot sounds, nitro tiles are the best choice, but if you like a quieter environment in your home, I would suggest that you go with the coin flex tiles which are relatively quieter and they even give a well-furnished outlook to the garage.
Installation and Maintenance
I would recommend that you take the installation process into consideration before getting your garage floors done. Installation time is a hectic process and requires a ton of patience when it comes to garage flooring.
Garage flooring can take up to a week, and depending on the material, you cannot even drive your vehicle over the new floors.
While installing your garage floors, I would highly advise that you consider the time of the year while doing so as well. Many garage tiles need an optimal temperature and suitable weather conditions so that they can dry up easily. I would recommend controlling the humidity levels in your garage while installing garage tiles
While installing the garage tiles, I would suggest that you make sure of using concrete sealers since it would increase the life of your tiles. However, if you single-handedly manage the application of the product, peel-and-stick tiles are more suitable for you.
Before installing tiles, I would suggest you give more attention to the cleaning process of the tiles as well. If you want a flooring option that can easily be cleaned, I would recommend buying mats since they can be easily cleaned by a mop.
However, if you want a quality flooring option such as an Epoxy – it needs to be cleaned like any other floor.
If you have kids or clumsy people in your home, I would suggest that you check the safety of your tiles before getting them installed. If you ask me, I would advise that you install slip-resistant tiles so that the shiny surface of the floors doesn’t make the people in your home experience slip and falls.
Warranty on the flooring tiles is an extra plus point when you are redoing your garage. It gives you an edge and peace of mind when choosing different garage flooring options.
The warranty option on the garage flooring was quite beneficial for me since I didn’t have to second guess myself before redoing my garage.
What makes a good garage floor?
Polished concrete flooring is the best of the lot. They can withstand high force and pressure and avoid wear and tear. They are very cost-effective when it comes to flooring options and are easily accessible in the market.
What is the most durable flooring for a garage?
Epoxy Floor coating is considered a durable option when it comes to flooring your garage. It provides a hardened and thick coating along with an aesthetic outlook with a naturally stone finish.
How do I protect my garage floor?
Polyaspratic coating and epoxy coating are the ideal protection for garage floors.
What is the minimum thickness for garage floors?
An ideal measurement for the thickness is 4 inches. The measurement makes it easy for the tiles to settle in.
How do I protect my garage floor from water?
The cheapest and ideal way is to get a water containment mat.
How long does garage flooring last?
Between two to five years, depending on the quality.
How often should you seal your garage floor?
Sealing your garage floor with concrete every 2-5 years is ideal.
Garage flooring may not get as much attention as it should, but it is a crucial part of the garage that will make your life easier if the choice is correct. The flooring should be suitable for weather conditions as well as your needs.
I grew up on a small farm in New Jersey. We had a big family because my parents, my uncles and aunties all were living together on this farm so, you can imagine, it was always over crowded with people. But living in farm was really great because we had to do everything on our own and I learned so many things from my parents and uncles and aunties and that is where I found my passion for fixing things, whether it is renovating or designing, I was always there. Read more