Looking for the best paint for wood fence? We tried multiple brands on the wood fences to test the durability & outdoor paint quality; here is the list of our top 10 products.
The fence paint must resist mold and keep the rust away from the metals. The majority of wooden fence paints come with a combination of primer and topcoat.
Hence, you do not need to prime it separately. Not to mention, wooden fence paint must be hard-wearing and less toxic.
Eco-friendly paint will let you do the project in peace, as you will be sure about the environment’s safety.
Table of Contents
Best Paint For Wood Fence (Top 10 Choices):
THE ONE Paint
Ready Seal 512
Exterior wood sealer
Majic Paints 8-9406-2
Wood, Tile, Doors, Furniture, Glass, Metal
Jetcoat Farm Pride
1. THE ONE Paint
THE ONE paint is a life-saving and time-saving product. Time-saving products are always good to go, as they are created to convenience the customers. It’s a go-to paint for my food fence.
Just mix the primer in the same bucket, and you are ready to paint your fence. Moreover, this paint has got a proportion of primer mixed into the paint.
The formula is quick-drying and does not take much of my time. That is not all; you can use this paint on various surfaces.
You can also use it on metal, plastic, brick, stone, glass, and other surfaces.
I enjoyed using this product and loved that it dries really fast. The whole feeling of the paint is thick and opaque; one coat gives enough coverage to the wall and protects it from the other factor.
This unit is a water-based acrylic paint; hence, the cleanup is super easy. THE ONE Paint is also environmentally safe and has a low VOC formula, as per the company claims.
Your kids and pets will be safe around the paint.
- The paint dries real quick.
- It is safe for the environment.
- Apart from wood, you can use it on a range of surfaces.
- No need to pour tons of primer.
- The product has proven to be convenient for the customers
- It is considered a life-saving and time-saving product
- It has a proportion of primer mixed with the paint
- The product dries up quickly
- It can be used on several different surfaces – it can be used on metal, plastic, brick, stone, glass, and other multiple surfaces
- The product has proven to provide great coverage – provides excellent coverage with just one coat of paint
- The paint is thick and opaque
- It has a low VOC formula
- It has proven to be environmentally friendly
We call it a lifesaver for many reasons, and now you know all of them! The environment-friendly paint for wooden fences can mean healthier living and a healthier look!
This paint was able to cover wooden fences without any primer, and that made it an economical fit for us.
You might like: Best Vinyl Fence
2. Ready Seal 512
Next on our list is Ready Seal 512 oil-based paint. This paint came in exquisite packaging and got a manual as well.
I like the feeling of oil-based paint as it gives the correct finish. Moreover, if you are primarily looking for oil-based paint for your fences, this is indeed a good option.
This bucket comes with a tinted stain and a sealer; you can easily add more color and protection within the same bucket.
I love the ease of the paint as the bucket is user-friendly. The stain is transparent and does not give any cakey look, and allows the wood to absorb the grain and provide a more natural look.
I used the stain on the unfinished surface as a topcoat. There is no thinning required; roll, brush, and spray the stain on the surfaces.
Just apply the second coat once the first coat is fully absorbed.
- Easy to maintain paint that requires a primer.
- Works well with a sprayer.
- It never leaves any running elements.
- No wet-line application.
- The product comes in great packaging
- It comes with an instruction manual
- An oil-based paint that gives a proper finish
- Has proven to be an ideal oil-based product
- The product comes with tinted stain and sealer – the addition of more color is feasible
- The product comes in a bucket form – it has proven to be user friendly
- It allows the wood to absorb the grain and provides a more natural look
- No thinning of any kind is required – it follows a roll, brush, and spray mechanism
- It works well with a sprayer
- It never leaves any running elements
- The product requires a primer before spraying it on a surface
- You need to apply multiple coats to achieve ideal results
3. Rust-Oleum 7578838-6
Rust-Oleum is a known product in town and makes high-quality products that are environmentally friendly as well.
The products by Rust-Oleum are always a safe bet as per our experience; hence the result is good. This unit is more of a commercial formula and stands out compared to the other units on our list.
Moreover, this unit has a quick-drying formula and dries in almost 12-15 minutes.
I loved using this product due to the feature and had a good time painting my fences. The fence was ready for the second coat in less than 15 minutes.
I don’t particularly appreciate using brushes for painting the walls. I used a sprayer, and to my surprise, this unit worked well with the sprayer as well.
Rust-Oleum is an oil-based paint that covers up to 14 square feet and comes in a pack of six.
- Highly durable, environment-safe oil-based formula.
- It resists corrosion and gives a smooth cut.
- It covers up to 14 square feet in one go.
- Quick-drying formula.
- A high-quality product that has proven to be environmentally friendly
- The unit is a commercial product
- It stands out from other products
- The product contains a quick drying formula – ideally the product dries in 10-15 minutes
- It provides multiple features and a good experience for the user
- It is compatible with a sprayer as well
- It is an oil-based product that provides excellent coverage – it can cover up to 14 square feet
- The product comes in a pack of six
- It is highly durable
- It resists corrosion and provides smoother cuts
- You need to apply multiple coats of paint
You might like: Best Paint Remover
4. Majic Paints 8-9406-2
If you are more of a social person who likes to experience other colors, this unit is an excellent deal.
If white is not your color and you want to adventure with different colors, you can choose between 12 bold colors of Majic Paints.
I ordered Serenity for my fences, and I loved it. The color was more of a shade of green and went well with my garden.
In the future, I will experiment with other colors as well.
It is water-based paint and prevents scratches as well. This paint is not just for wooden fences.
You can use it on other surfaces such as metal, brick, drywall, steel, tile, etc. It is more of a user-friendly product that dries in minutes.
There is no need to prime the surface beforehand; open the bucket and start painting.
- This unit is ideal for DIY projects.
- You can use this paint to revamp your furniture.
- Easy to apply the product.
- Quick-drying time formula.
- The product comes in a variety of colors that you can choose from
- It provides multiple options of colors – you can choose from 12 different bold colors
- The product is a water-based product that prevents scratches
- The product can be used for many other surfaces – metal, brick, drywall, steel, and tile
- It contains a quick-drying formula – normally takes several minutes to dry
- No kind of primer is required before starting the painting process with this product
- An ideal choice for DIY projects
- It is an easy-to-apply product
- Can be used to revamp furniture
5. Montage Signature
Next on our list is another happening paint. This unit is one of my favorites, and I enjoyed using it. It came in neat and clean packaging with a lot of bubble wrap to prevent accidents.
Well, I like the whole vibe of this product as it does not directly go into your respiratory tract and gives a subtle feeling. They are low VOC and not harmful at all.
Moreover, it is made from recycled paint; hence, it is environment-friendly.
You won’t be inhaling any dangerous fumes, and this unit will protect your fences from molds, water, milder and other elements. You can use this product on metal or wood.
The montage signature paint is suitable for exterior and interior finishes, and you can choose between the low sheen and semi-gloss variety.
- It is a low-sheen finished unit.
- Extremely versatile professional product.
- This unit offers superior coverage.
- One can choose between 12 different colors.
- The product comes in neat and clean packaging – comes in bubble wrap
- It has low VOC and is not harmful at all
- It is made up of recycled paint – it has proven to be environmentally friendly
- It has proven to be protective against molds, water, milder, and other elements
- This product can be used on multiple surfaces – metal, wood, etc
- It is an ideal choice for exterior and interior finishes
- It is an extremely versatile professional product
- The unit provides excellent coverage
- It is a low-sheen finished unit
- Since it is a professional product, beginners might have problems handling this product
6. KILZ Exterior
KILZ is a known brand, and they provide top-notch quality products. This brand is on my list, as it is a well-reputed brand, and I had a great time experimenting with this product.
Firstly, this product is an Oil and water-based formula. It is a combination of both water and Oil, which gives exceptional results.
It is a durable unit that resists cracking, peeling, and fading paint.
The paint on the wood does not chip, and you can also clean it with soapy water and a brush.
One bucket covers up to 500 square feet; hence, I was satisfied with the overall quantity of the product.
The formula is fast drying, and it will make your project speedier—a self-priming oil/water-based paint, no need to worry about more work.
- One bucket covers up to 500 square feet.
- You can clean the paint with soapy water.
- The drying time is super-quick.
- Works well with all kinds of surfaces.
- A high-quality product that is manufactured by a well-reputed company
- The product is a combination of oil and water – it provides exceptional results
- It has proven to be durable – it resists cracking, peeling, and fading of paint
- The paint can be cleaned with soapy water and a brush
- No primer is required before initiating the painting process
- The formula is fast-drying
- One bucket can cover up to 500 square feet
- It works well with all kinds of surfaces
- No kind of extra work is required while using this product
7. Valspar 3125-10
The next on our list is another impressive paint unit. Valspar 3125-10 is a fantastic product that goes well with a natural backyard or lawn setting.
If you are a fan of custom colors and natural colors, this unit is an excellent deal for you.
The Valspar fence is a great choice, and I liked working with custom colors, as it was more of an experience.
The one-coat application keeps the UV rays out of attention and resists mildew, mold, and fading.
The stain is transparent and offers a natural look. They have a variety of colors available; you can choose between a color palette.
The paint will even work with a sprayer. Hence, if you are not a brush person, use a sprayer for this unit.
- This paint works well with a sprayer as well.
- You can choose between a variety of colors.
- This unit is fade and weather resistant.
- One coat is enough for a fence to shine.
- An ideal choice that goes well with a natural backyard or lawn setting
- It comes in custom and natural colors
- It resists mildew, mold, and fading
- One coat of paint is protected against UV rays
- The stain of the product is transparent and provides a natural look
- The product comes in a variety of colors – you can choose it from a palette
- Has proven to work well with a sprayer
- It has proven to be weather resistant
- It doesn’t require multiple coats of paint – one coat is more than enough
8. Wood Defender
Wood Defender is an excellent product, and it is pretty economical as well. I like to experiment with products, especially those associated with DIYs.
I randomly picked this paint, and it was delivered to me in excellent packaging.
This unit is exterior and outdoor paint available in two colors. This paint is recommended for the white picket fences, and the paint goes smoothly into the walls.
The drying time is also pretty commendable, and I love how it dried so smoothly and cleanly. This unit gives a soft and durable finish.
Moreover, it is a weather-resistant unit and indeed ideal for exterior surfaces.
However, I would not recommend this unit for any interior surface as it will give a patchy look.
- This unit highlights the pigments.
- The paint is resistant to UV rays.
- The color will glorify the fences.
- The drying time is smooth and fast.
- Has proven to be an economical product
- It is an ideal choice for DIY projects
- The packaging of the product is sublime
- The unit is an ideal choice for exterior surfaces
- It is recommended for white pick fences – to dwell smoothly
- The drying time of the product is commendable by many customers
- It dries up smoothly and nicely
- It has proven to be weather-resistant
- It highlights pigments of paint
- It acts as a protection against UV rays
- Not an ideal choice for interior surfaces
- The product is only available in two colors
9. RUST-OLEUM 03101
Yes, we love Rust-Oleum. It is a well-reputed and well-known brand that has been in this field for ages.
Hence, I love to experiment with different rust oleum products for DIY projects. Rust-Oleum 03101 is a mildew-proof paint that goes well with exterior surfaces.
I would not recommend using 03101 for the interior surfaces as they will not look clean and finished.
Moreover, this unit guarantees to prevent mold for over five years. It is a high-performing product with an acrylic formulation.
The durability level of this paint is indeed satisfying, and you will love the whole application process.
It is a two-coat application formula that prevents moisture, peel, and cracks.
- It is a five-year guaranteed high-performing product.
- Just two coats and you are good to go.
- This unit gives a finished look to your project.
- It is a weather-resistant product.
- Has proven to be a well-reputed product
- An ideal choice for DIY projects
- It goes well with exterior surfaces
- It guarantees mold-free surface for over five years
- It has an acrylic formula – that provides high performance
- The application process is simple and easy
- The product only requires two coats – preventing moisture, peel, and cracks
- Highly durable product
- It has proven to be weather-resistant
- It is not an ideal choice for interior surfaces
10. Jetcoat Farm Pride
The last on our list is Jetcoat Farm Pride. As the name suggests, this product is an outdoor range paint.
It is a top-rated product; credit goes to its exceptional fade-resistant ability.
It is more of a water-based formula combined with UV inhibitors that further enhances the life of the wood.
The paint is easy to use, and you can even use a sprayer. This unit will not demand any extra coat; just one application is sufficient for the wooden surfaces.
Moreover, one gallon covers around 100 square feet. The finish is non-toxic. Hence, the product is environmentally safe.
- It is an easy-to-apply, high-performing product.
- It is a water-based formula that protects the surface from UV rays.
- The dry is non-toxic, and the paint is weather resistant.
- You can clean it with soapy water and a brush.
- It has an exceptional fade-resistant ability.
- The product has a water-based formula that is combined with UV inhibitors – enhancing the life of the wood
- The application process is very easy
- A sprayer can also be used
- It is environmentally safe – it is non-toxic
- Comes in a quantity of one gallon – covering about 100 square feet
- It easy to apply
- It can be cleaned with soapy water and a brush
- It protects the surface from UV rays
- The product has proven to be expensive compared to other products
Wood Fence Buying Guide – Best Paint
Everyone prefers clean and aesthetic wooden fences – they look attractive when they are well-maintained. However, you should know whether a wooden fence would look good with oil-based paint or water-based paint.
Ideal paint for a wooden fence resists mold and keeps rust away from metals. Many of these products come with a combination of primer and topcoat. The type of paint that is environmentally friendly, less toxic and hard-wearing is considered as an ideal purchase.
Eco-friendly paints would let you continue with the project peacefully. However, there are certain factors that you should consider before making your purchase.
Type of Paint
I consider the type of paint the most important factor when it comes to purchasing an ideal product for your wooden fence.
There are generally two types of paint – an oil-based and a water-based product. Both types have multiple advantages and disadvantages. However, if you ask me, I would recommend purchasing an oil-based paint.
According to my experience, an oil-based product has proven to be an ideal choice – simply because it is a high-quality durable product that provides effective results. The product is a tad bit more expensive than a water-based product; however, the results are exceptional.
I would recommend purchasing an oil-based paint since it provides a great finish to your surface and it has proven to be an excellent choice for exterior and interior surfaces.
However, if you are willing to pay more, I would recommend purchasing a product that is a combination of oil and water – you will be receiving the best of both worlds.
The combination of the two has proven to be durable, non-toxic, environmentally friendly, and provides exceptional results. I would highly advise purchasing one since the application process and maintenance of the product is also easy.
When it comes to painting, I would highly recommend considering the coverage of the product before making your final purchasing decision.
How much coverage a paint provides is genuinely considered one of the most important factors. I would highly advise purchasing a product that requires a single coat of paint on a surface, provides exceptional finishing, and has a faster drying period.
These 3 things would make your life easier – the application process of applying paint would generally be a whole lot easier for you.
Ideally, I would advise purchasing a product that comes in a bucket – this would help you in applying paint through a sprayer, roller, or brush.
The drying period of the product had a huge impact on my purchasing decision. According to my experience, I would recommend purchasing a product that has a quicker drying period.
I would advise purchasing a product that dries up quickly – this would help you in applying the second coat of paint faster and save you a lot of time and effort.
For newer buyers, the formula of the product doesn’t necessarily concern them, however, I would highly recommend considering this factor as one of the most important ones.
A product that has a high quality and durable formula has proven to be long-lasting, safe, and provides exceptional results.
I would recommend purchasing a product that has no VOC formula and is non-toxic. The products that follow these patterns have proven to be environmentally friendly and prevent health hazards for the user.
Whether a product is an effective barrier against harmful elements is also decided by the formula of the product. I would recommend purchasing a product that can act as a protective layer against mold, mildews, and UV rays and is also weather-resistant.
I would highly advise purchasing a product that has an acrylic formula – the formula has proven to be safe and provides high performance and greater results.
According to my experience, the packaging of the product is also considered an important factor. I would highly advise purchasing a product that comes with sublime packaging – this would ensure that there are zero chances of leakage.
A well-packed product would provide you with a better experience and would save you a lot of costs.
I would highly recommend considering this factor before making your purchase. I would generally consider a product an ideal one if it provides you with a variety of colors that you can choose from.
I would highly advise purchasing a product that comes with multiple colors that you can choose from. This would ensure the buying process is smoother and you would be more satisfied with the product.
Nowadays, most surfaces do not require priming before starting the painting process. I would highly advise purchasing a product that requires no priming.
A product that requires no priming and provides exceptional results without it would save you from the trouble of using a primer on the surface.
Priming a surface is generally difficult, especially for beginners, and it is an extra cost that you would need to consider. I would highly advise purchasing a product that follows a simple mechanism of roll, brush, and spray.
FAQs About Wooden Fence Paint
Okay, so if you have decided to paint your wooden fence, let me answer some frequently asked questions.
Moreover, you need to understand what type of paint you are comfortable working with.
It would be best if you also decided whether you want an exterior or an interior paint; or a combination of both.
Should my house and fences be the same color?
Well, this entirely depends upon you and your preferences. There is no rule of thumb for the same color.
You can choose any color, or create harmony between the color of your house and fence.
Can I use a roller to paint my wooden fence?
Yes, absolutely why not? But it also depends on the type of fence. The roller goes exceptionally well with the picket, private, and masonry fences.
Hence, if you have the walls, as mentioned earlier, you can use a roller, depending on the type of fence you have.
Is it better to paint or stain a fence?
This entirely depends upon the kind of look you want to achieve. The stain looks good on the new fences. However, the paint is suitable for older wood.
What kind of paint do you use on a wooden fence?
Acrylic latex paint is considered an ideal choice by professionals since it provides a moisture barrier that protects the surface from rain and other elements.
Do you need special paint for the fences?
A good quality latex paint has proven to be more than ideal for fences. However, a coat of primer is required for better adhesion. Once the process is complete, the fence will be an excellent barrier against harmful elements.
How long does paint last on a wooden fence?
If the paint is applied properly, it can generally last for up to 10 years, depending on the quality of the product.
What is the best finish for a wooden fence?
A solid stain has proven to provide the best finish since it hides the imperfections with ease. However, a semitransparent or transparent finish is considered a vile option as well.
How many coats of paint does a fence need?
A fence may require at least 2 coats of paint to achieve exceptional results. The ideal average waiting time is 4-12 hours.
I grew up on a small farm in New Jersey. We had a big family because my parents, my uncles and aunties all were living together on this farm so, you can imagine, it was always over crowded with people. But living in farm was really great because we had to do everything on our own and I learned so many things from my parents and uncles and aunties and that is where I found my passion for fixing things, whether it is renovating or designing, I was always there. Read more