There are hundreds, if not thousands, of sprinkler heads available in the market and we have dug out the 10 best sprinkler heads for you!
Sprinkler heads are a vital component of watering arrangement in your garden, no matter the size of the lawn.
They come in a variety of shapes and sizes, varying in ranges as well as angles.
These heads are small that spray a fan-shaped pattern of water. It has nozzles, just like your bathroom shower does, that determines the radius of water throw from it.
Best Sprinkler Heads (Top 10 Picks):
Orbit 55200 Pulse Pop-Up Impact Sprinkler Head
4.25 x 4.25 x 8.75 inches
GrowGreen Sprinkler, Rotating Lawn Sprinkler
9.9 x 8.1 x 4 inches
ABS Plastic & Rust Proof Polymer
HUNTER PGP-ADJ-B 4" Pop-Up Rotor Sprinkler
3 x 3 x 8 inches
Rain Bird 1804VAN - 4" Professional Pop-up Sprinkler - 5 Pack
9.5 x 2.5 x 6 inches
Toro 53814 4-Inch Pop-Up Fixed-Spray
2.06 x 2.06 x 6.83 inches
Orbit 55662 Voyager II Professional 4" Adjustable
20 x 12 x 8 inches
HUNTER PGP-adj Rotor Sprinkler Heads
10.5 x 3 x 8 inches
Melnor 65074-AMZ XT Turbo Oscillating Sprinkler
6.65 x 17.16 x 3.14 inches
Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene
Melnor 65113-AMZ Pulsating Sprinklers
2.16 x 4.92 x 11.81 inches
Gilmour 167H Pulsating Sprinkler Head
6 x 6 x 2 inches
Brass and Zinc head
1. Orbit 55200 Pulse Pop-Up Impact Sprinkler Head
Let’s check out some of the features of this leading brand in sprinkler heads:
- Preinstalled 35-foot spray distance muzzle
- Works within 20-80 psi and operates with low-pressure conditions as well.
- Adjustable spray pattern
- Multiple inlets of 0.5 pinch at bottom or side
- Weighs .75 pounds
- Dimensions are 5 x 8 x 13 inches
This sprinkler head was a great purchase for me in terms of money; I compared it with other brands with the same features as this and found this one cheaper.
I have a relatively large area that needs to be watered and this head provided the coverage very well and dispersed water evenly with a 360-degree turn.
The sprinkler heads proved reliable and durable over a long period of time and lasted longer than I initially expected them to. It saves you the cost of regular replacement.
The downside is that they are a bit difficult to install. It takes time to adjust them and get them running.
2. GrowGreen Sprinkler, Rotating Lawn Sprinkler
Gogreen specializes in products such as sprinkler head heads and thus, it needs to be on the list.
- 80 psi water pressure
- 32.8 feet spray distance
- Adjustable sprinkler with a weighted base to make sure the unit doesn’t move around
- Made with high-quality ABS plastic and rust-proof polymer
- Has a water conservation technology
- Can be used by children to play in the garden
Although I have been using sprinklers for long enough, this one is super fast!
Once you turn it on, you might not even get the chance to get out of the way fast enough.
The head sits nicely in the grass. Because of the weighted base, I no longer have to worry about the hose tilting away when I am not present.
The nozzles adjusted exactly the way I wanted them to; you can set it upright for maximum reach or horizontal for maximum coverage; it depends on you.
Keep in mind that the nozzles may come off and undoubtedly that’s trouble, but it can be reattached. You can use tape if it happens too often.
Also Read: Best String Trimmer
3. HUNTER PGP-ADJ-B 4″ Pop-Up Rotor Sprinkler
- Includes blue nozzle rack
- Preinstalled rubber cover
- Water lubricated gear-drive
- Arc adjustment of through-the-top
- Arc has a setting ranging from 40 to 360 degrees
This sprinkler head worked like it was supposed to; all the parts were present with a manual to make it easy to put it together.
Also, it was convenient to replace; those of you who take their gardening business seriously know how relieved you are when the replacement process is hassle-free.
Adjustment of the arc and the distance of the spray was simple and quick as it came with adjustment tools to assist you.
However, I found PGP rotors difficult to replace and install; they required technical knowledge and some level of expertise that I didn’t have.
4. Rain Bird 1804VAN – 4″ Professional Pop-up Sprinkler – 5 Pack
Rain Bird is the name most heard of in the sprinkler head market. The name carries with itself reliability and years of trust by its customers.
- 5 spray heads
- Preinstalled adjustable nozzle in head
- 4-inch pop-up height
- Exposure surface diameter of 5.7 cm
- Dimensions are 9.5 x 2.5 x 6 inches
These sprinklers popped up higher and went down consistently when I turned them off, causing no issues whatsoever.
My garden has tall grass, which is usually an issue with sprinklers, but these pop-ups had no problem getting over those and worked as advertised.
Rain bird makes replacing sprinkler heads convenient; it took me minutes to unscrew the older heads and screw the new ones.
The flat screw-on top controls the flow of water while the sprinkler shoots out water.
However, make sure all the heads work properly and if they don’t, you can reach out to the seller because and they handle complaints well.
Also Read: Best Weed Killer for St. Augustine Grass
5. Toro 53814 4-Inch Pop-Up Fixed-Spray
- 15 feet spray radius
- Fixed-spray sprinkler for medium lawns
- Dimensions are 2.06 x 2.06 x 6.83 inches
- Weighs 3.2 ounces
After using it for over a decade, I faced no leakages from the pop-ups. They work completely fine and you can change nozzles if you face pressure issues.
This pop-up is also suitable if you have an uneven garden that needs to be watered.
The adjustments are more than standard settings; they go beyond the 90, 180 and 360 degrees standard turns.
They are easy to install; there was no issue with replacement and since they are durable, I don’t have to worry about replacing them again for years.
The throw of the spray may not be as you would have thought and if your garden is huge, it may not be enough for your suitability.
6. Orbit 55662 Voyager II Professional 4″ Adjustable
Listed below are some of the most prominent features of this head, along with its advantages and disadvantages:
- Dimensions are 20 x 12 x 8 inches
- Inlet connection of National Pipe Tapered
- Spray adjustments range from 25-52 feet radius
- Compatible with most rotor sprinklers
- Ideal for medium to large lawns
- A key is provided to adjust spray coverage
The orbit sprinklers are best for the irrigation system. With other brands, the sprinkler heads suffered sun damage and thus, their life was cut short drastically. I don’t have to worry about that with this one.
If any part is defective, it will be replaced by the company within days of delivery so one does not have to worry about poor customer service and delayed deliveries.
One tip that I would like to give to the users of this product that if the head is an area where it can be run over by a car or mowers then you should put them on a flex pipe. Trust me; you would save yourself from a lot of hassle.
Also, all the details about the size of the inlet are mentioned explicitly on the product and website.
The size is very important if you are replacing old sprinkler heads with new ones.
However, I faced some difficulty turning off the sprinkler heads individually.
If you usually do turn them on and off regularly, reconsider the purchase.
Also Read: Best Mulch for gardens
7. HUNTER PGP-adj Rotor Sprinkler Heads
Hunter is a known name in the marker for sprinkler heads. It has been around long enough to build credibility. Following are some of the features of this product:
- Dimensions are 10.5 x 3 x 8 inches
- Material is plastic
- Each pack contains an adjustment tool
- 4 PGP heads and preinstalled nozzle.
- Full circle adjustment from 50 to 360 degrees
- Dirt-water tolerance
One of the upsides of this brand is that there is a replacement tool available in the market at half the cost.
This means that you don’t have to replace the entire sprinkler head, saving you the cost and the effort.
My area has hard water running which usually damages the rubber seal in heads and damages them. However, with this sprinkler head, I did not face that issue; it was durable.
The variety of head nozzles makes this purchase all the more worthwhile. At this price, one would otherwise get only a single nozzle head.
I would like to point out that you would have to manually attach nozzles to heads by yourself; they don’t come attached as shown in the picture.
8. Melnor 65074-AMZ XT Turbo Oscillating Sprinkler
Melnor has outdone itself with this advanced sprinkler. Let us find out some of its prominent characteristics:
- 20 rubber nozzles to provide coverage of up to 4500 square feet
- The width of the watering pattern can be controlled by twin touch adjustment
- Infinity turbo drive
- Comes with Quick connect product adapter to easily connect and disconnect sprinkler
- Lifetime warranty
This sprinkler is very sturdy; it was convenient to adjust the directional jets and set the rotation of the nozzles.
It is lightweight but nevertheless, durable; a combination I thought I would not come across. The material is plastic, but it gets the job done!
The directions to put it together are fairly straightforward; I faced no difficulty in assembling the product and took very little time.
One of the distinct features is that the water stream is of the right density so that the water is not lost in air as a fine mist. The grass is well watered with this one!
However, it sometimes gets hung up or gets stuck; it gets back to working soon but there is a glitch that makes it lag.
Also Read: Best Lawn Fertilizers
9. Melnor 65113-AMZ Pulsating Sprinklers
- Covers the distance of 85 inches(diameter)
- Has unit-to-unit connections
- Has metal spikes
- Contains quick connect adapter
- 2 years warranty
This sprinkler head moves very smoothly with zero interruption; I have used many of these and most of them got stuck every now and then but by far, this one has been smooth.
It was a relief to find out that it does not make noise as compared to other brands which produce a ton of noise. It glides back and forth with minimal noise.
The number of adjustments one can make according to your need is commendable; you can customize it for diffusion, distance and spray angle among other things.
The sprinkler is made with metal which improves its quality drastically as compared to other plastic-made sprinklers. The price is still, however, competitive.
Bear in mind that the rotation limiters are hard to move and the rotors may sometimes get stuck as well.
10. Gilmour 167H Pulsating Sprinkler Head
- Provides water coverage for up to 5800 square feet
- It comes with impulse arm
- Diffuser screw allows for easy adjustments
- Base is 0.5 inches
- Impulse head is constructed with brass and zinc
- Dimensions are 6 x 6 x 2 inches
For the best performance of this product, use a larger bose hole and short length with minimum restrictive fittings. They work really well with good water pressure.
The reach of this head is beyond expectation; usually the distance mentioned on the product that it will cover is not what it actually is but this one delivered on its promise.
It keeps the area wet and my grass came out pretty good. The water was evenly dispersed with good pressure to cover my entire big lawn.
Also, the wire tab that lets you select whether you want the spray in an arc or full circle is easy to operate.
If you end up getting the product that you did not order, you can it exchanged as this has happened to a couple of people.
Things to consider when buying a sprinkler head:
- Type of head: pop-ups are best suited for watering flowerbeds. The extended size gives you a better reach deeper into the bed. On the other hand, the fixed sprinkler heads are best for shrubs and smaller flowerbeds that don’t require as much reach. They are not the best choice for your lawn.
- If the area you live in faces low water pressure, say less than 40 PSI, then you should opt for rotary nozzles or sprays.
- If the area you want to water is big, rotors may be your best bet!
- If you are willing to spend money, go for metal sprinkler heads as they are more durable and tough. However, plastic ones are very well-engineered as well and will perform almost as well as the metal ones.
The right sprinkler head will make maintaining your lawns and gardens hassle-free and fun!You can learn the basics like loading Ryobi string trimmer
With the advancement in technology, ease to use the product has been prioritized. Thus, the above-mentioned sprinklers make your life trouble-free.
I grew up on a small farm in New Jersey. We had a big family because my parents, my uncles and aunties all were living together on this farm so, you can imagine, it was always over crowded with people. But living in farm was really great because we had to do everything on our own and I learned so many things from my parents and uncles and aunties and that is where I found my passion for fixing things, whether it is renovating or designing, I was always there. Read more